Friday 18 March 2005

of body mass index

I was at NTUC just now and I was greeted by a small crowd gathering in front of a machine that was placed at the entrance.


A queue so early in the morning? Got what offer?

The machine measures your Body Mass Index. Or as Mr Miyagi calls it, the Blubber Mass Index. It is one of the many machines that the Health Promotion Board has installed around the island. Free for all to use.


The BMI machine

Being a typical Singaporean and because of all the hype from the recent report in the papers, LancerLady and I took our measurements.

My BMI is just below the healthy range. The chit churned by the machine says that I "may be eating less food than what my body needs". I am also "at risk of developing nutritional defiency and osteoporosis".


BMI=18.31

What to do? I eat moderately, I think. But I think I also belong to the group that chiak liaw bee!

Other links:
Singapore Warns of Health Risks as Obesity Grows by Reuters
Hundreds turn up at BMI machines islandwide to check health risks by ChannelnewsAsia.com
Fatheads

No comments:

Post a Comment