Sunday 1 May 2005

of taking a ride in a cab

I took a cab this morning and I encountered this cabbie. Don't know to call him wierd or cool. As I entered the cab, he was wearing these huge black sunglasses just like the ones Mark Gor(Chow Yun Fatt) wore in A Better Tomorrow. Upon closing the door, he told me, in his soft and gentle voice, to put on my seat belt. Well that's required by the law. So I happily put on the seatbelt.

A few minutes into the journey, the cabbie started to play Gospel music. So here we have a cool and holy cabbie. Then I noticed that his Nokia 6680 has a cross dangling to it. OK, so not only is he cool and holy. He's also a hip cabbie.

But what scares me was his driving. I think he pays double the Road Tax compared to other taxi drivers. He didn't keep to his lane but he straddled in between 2 lanes! Imagine a taxi, occupying 2 lanes for parts along AYE. Now and then I could hear cars at the rear and by the sides honking at the cab. They would drive past and stare at the cabbie. Some drivers that drove past showed "What the coo-coo is going on?" face. Some showed angry faces. One even showed some finger at the cabbie. But the cool and calm cabbie just waved and gestured at them. Cool and relax.

But what's not cool was that he 'forced' his way in front of cars. And when he got honked, he would gladly bring out his left hand and waved to the cars behind as a gesture of apology. Scared the shit out of me!

Playing Gospel music was like sending me to my grave. Now I know why he instructed me to wear my seat belt.

This was one of my many interesting experiences with cabbies. I'm sure many of us have encounters(good or bad) with cabbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment